Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Confessions of a fabricaholic.....

On January 2nd I accidentally joined a crafter challenge.  I say accidentally because a friend of mine, Alyssa (of Keep Calm and Carrion), knows how much I love fabric and commented that she had added me to "a really awesome group!" in an online thread about fabric / sewing / etc.  I was excited!

I clicked over.... and saw the group was called "Creating 100 items or more" - - - cool!  I'd love to see how long it took me to make 100 items!  I even commented in the group to that effect.  And then I read the "fine print" {it was NOT hidden..... I just hadn't gotten that far yet....}

This was a CHALLENGE.  To NOT buy fabric until I made 100 items from supplies I had on hand.

Wait.... what?!

No buying fabric?

Help!  Get me outta here!  No way!  Shoot - can I delete that post about being "so excited about this group!" quickly before anyone saw it?!  Were all things that rapidly ran through my mind.

But no way.  I had committed {even if I didn't realize it} - - - and I was determined to see this challenge through!

100 items - that's no big deal, right?!  Ha.

There were a few caveats - for those of us who sew & sell, we COULD order / purchase fabric if it was ABSOLUTELY necessary for a paid custom order (but no adding to the order just "because" or to hit free shipping minimums, etc.).  We could also buy batting, etc. if there was a project it was needed for - things that would finish a project created from supplies on hand.

I joined the challenge January 2nd.  I completed my 100th items EARLY in the morning on March 10th (before the kiddos were awake).  67 days.  Though 9 of those days were were on a vacation out of state / away from my usual sewing environment {but I DID end up completing my Project Quilting Challenge 4 quilt there!}.  So 58 days for 100 items?!  Not too shabby!

During that time I only placed 3 small fabric orders - for custom orders - and purchased fabric to sew my PQ challenge 4 piece (as we were on vacation, away from all my fabric).  Woohoo!

It was a definite challenge.... but it definitely taught me a bunch.  I was more focused (I wasn't doing as much online shopping / browsing in my "down" time), I looked at my stash through a different lens (and have some de-stashing to do soon - - - - if I didn't even consider sewing with a fabric during that time, when I couldn't buy anything else, I probably don't NEED the fabric.... right?!), and I was much more profitable!  (money coming in, but not going out in the form of purchasing fabric!)

So.... what does a gal who is a self-professed fabricaholic do when she completes a challenge like this?!

She goes shopping..... of COURSE!!! :)

I did some online shopping - and spent an hour or so at Jo-Ann Fabrics by myself - coming home with a nice stack of fabric.

Here's some of what I picked up (though it isn't all here yet.... some is still in the mail!) :)

Bluebird Park Bicycle (in "Tangerine" and "Lamp Post") and Magnolia (in "Grass") - from Southern Fabric

A fat quarter bundle of Art Gallery Fabric's "Chromatics" - from Stash Fabrics 

A couple yards of this adorably retro scooter fabric {I got a small piece of the pink one for free with an order a while back.... and loved it.  I made a few bibs and wished I had more!} - from a member of Fabric Crafters U Bid It Destash (a group on Facebook - feel free to request to join - I'm one of the admins and will help get you added quickly!)

Some yardage of this beautiful print from the Ashbury Heights line by Doohikey Designs for Riley Blake (again, from a Fabric Crafters U Bid It Destash member)
I also have a Rolie Polie of this line on its way to me from Fabric Fly Shop!

And I couldn't resist these cute lil' trees and woodland creatures - from Aneela Hooey's Little Apples line - found on clearance for a STEAL at Southern Fabric

We also stopped by a little local shop we had NO idea existed until just a week or two ago - they sell little bits of crafts, knickknacks, and some fabric!  I snagged these because I thought they were really pretty together - during their 2 year anniversary sale (yay for discounted fabric!)

Like I said.... I have a bit more on its way to me (yes, I went *just a little bit* overboard!) - and bought some pretty fabric at Jo-Ann Fabrics, too.  

But..... now I'm done buying (yah, right you say!).  How do I know this?!  Alyssa and I have committed to another challenge (just between us).  We won't be buying more until we make another 50 items - and we plan on continuing the "50 item then small splurge" challenge the rest of the YEAR.  Yep, all of 2014!

So..... you'd better hold us to that, right?!

:)

Guess we'd better get sewing!  I'm 3 items into the new challenge - 105 items total (which started on March 14th - yes, I did all this damage shopping in 3.5 days!)

1 comment:

Chelley said...

You and I have such similar tastes! I have several of those prints and have had my eye on several more! Love them all! Can't wait to see what other pretty things you make. :)