Thursday, January 2, 2014

Baby H's Quilt {finished!}

My sneak peek post left you with a pieced quilt top pin / spray basted to the batting and backing.  I was *so close* to finishing Baby H.'s quilt!

I decided to use some simple straight-line quilting that followed the chevron pattern of the quilt.  Following the "bottom" {keeping in mind, it's a quilt that could be turned either way.... but in my mind I saw it oriented with the orange stripe closer to the top than the bottom} of each grey stripe, I stitched three zig-zags about 3/8" apart.  

Then I added some horizontal stitching between points of the zig-zags to create a bit more texture / dimension to the large quilted chevrons you'd see on the back.  I used a light grey thread for the quilt top and a darker grey thread for the bobbin (to blend in with the grey-on-grey chevron flannel I backed the quilt with).

Once the quilting was done, I bound the blanket with the medium blue / white polka dot fabric.  I knew I wanted to use a blue fabric (so that the back of the quilt would be grey / blue), and I wanted to use the one that wasn't the first or last blue chevron.... I was glad it was the blue / white dot - I think it was the perfect binding fabric!

This fluffy, adorable bundle shipped off to Dana in NC as my last finished order of 2013.  But don't you worry - - - I already have a nice long sewing list to start 2014! 

No comments: